Thursday, September 11, 2008

I'm grateful

I always said I wouldn't post anything without pictures, (in fact I think those words escaped my mouth today!) but I really need to express how I am feeling. Today as I was coming home from the gym and grocery shopping, I was in a hurry because I was trying to get Emmie to kindergarten on time-she loves it so much and wants to be so prompt! So as I am flying down the interstate, I notice lots of brake lights ahead, I slow down, and eventually come to a dead stop. This is in between two exits, so there is no where to go. As I am stopped, I start hearing sirens, lots of them. After about 10 minutes, and maybe 20 yards, I count 4 ambulances, 3 fire trucks, 2 extraction team trucks, an incident management truck, and numerous police cars pass by us. I knew there was an accident, and knew it was bad. So as I sat there with my two littlest ones, pulling fruit snacks out of my purse (thank goodness I stuck those in there who knows how long ago), I realized how lucky and blessed I am. That could have been us, just as easy as anyone. Except I was just sitting in my car, safe, with two of my most favorite people. I guess you just never know.
I learn lessons all the time, and its always when someone I know passes away, or when something tragic happens, and its too bad that it takes something like that to help me remember how blessed I am.
When I finally got up to the accident, it was horrific. I tried to keep Emmie's attention because I knew she would see things I didn't want her to, but Jaynee did a good job distracting her by asking her to read her a book. A red full size truck was completely smashed in the front, with the door missing and of course the air bag deployed. On the other side (in the median) was one of those 15 passenger vans, with one whole entire side of the van missing. Inside was a mangled mess. You could tell the "jaws of life" had cut one of the doorside bars in half to get someone out. Luckily, the only person I saw was a man on a stretcher and he was conscious. However, after seeing it in person, I am positive not many people made it out alive. How sad, and tragic and fast. I drove home slowly, pretty shaken up. I just felt like going to the school, getting Kaylee, going home and locking all the doors, and never letting any of them out the door.
I am so thankful to have what I have! Cameron is wonderful. I am married to my best friend, who loves me and takes such good care of me. He is an amazing dad with our little girls. Our girls take all our time, attention and energy, but we love it; wouldn't want it any other way. They make us so happy. I have the most wonderful and supportive family, and inlaws. I have the greatest friends who are also so supportive and would be there in a heartbeat, and have been there when I have needed help. Who could ask for more?
I get caught up in all I "have" to do, but I need to remember what is most important; because it could all be gone in the blink of an eye.
Ok, so sorry for the blubbery post, but I just really wanted to express how thankful I am, and I wanted you all to know it!!